What is the best DTT outdoor, indoor HDTV antenna to buy (2020)
Best DTT outdoor, indoor HDTV antenna to buy in 2020 buying guide
In order to receive all DTT channels in good conditions, apowerful and efficient antenna is an essential element. This becomes even moreimportant if you live in a region with difficult reception due to the distanceof the nearest transmitter or the relief.
But it is not easy to choose the right model, as there are so many on the market. So, I propose this buying guide to help you choose the best outdoor DTT antenna according to your budget.
Which outdoor DVB-Tantenna should I choose?
- Enjoy top-rated HDTV network programming and your favorite shows
- Use the brand new RCA Signal Finder App to find broadcast towers in your area
- Supports 1080i HDTV with a 150-mile range, or up to 70+ miles from the broadcast towers
- Simplifies installation with pre-assembled design
In terms of value for money, the RCA Outdoor Yagi Satellite HD Antenna rake type outdoor TV antenna is a great deal. Guaranteed for a long time, it has very good feedback from users for both installation and daily use.
- Dual TV outputs
- 150 Mile range | HDTV reception — HD antenna can capture 1080p HDTV and 32dB high Gain reception within 150-mile range, working frequency: VHF 40300MHz | UHF 470890MHz.
- Wireless remote controller — built-in 360 degree motor rotor | built-in super low noise amplifier | includes 32.8ft digital antenna Coax cable. The pole is not included
- Weather resistant
Vansky Outdoor HD TV Antenna: a cheap HD TNT outdoor antenna, If your budget does not exceed, you can fall back on this model. This entry-level amplified outdoor DVB-T antenna maybe is best for you.
- 150 Miles Long Range and Dual TV Outputs –Full HDTV support 720p, 1080i, 1080p | Working Frequency: VHF 170 – 230MHz | UHF 470 – 860MHz
- Wireless remote controller — Built-in 360 degree motor rotor | Built-in Super High Gain and Low Noise Amplifier | includes 40FT RG6 Coaxial cable
- FULL HD CRYSTAL-CLEAR TV & HD SOUND QUALITY
- The indoor HDTV antenna can reach up to 120 miles and can be placed almost anywhere in your home. If a signal cannot be received with the amplifier, remove the antenna amplifier and try again.
- 18 FT LONG COAXIAL CABLE & USB POWER ADAPTER
- 130 + MILES LONG RANGE ANTENNA
- High Performing Slim Design
- 17FT LONG CABLE AND USB POWER
- 90-day full refund and 24-month customer service
Indoor or outdoor DTTantenna?
In the majority of cases, an outdoor HD DTT antenna will bemuch more efficient than an indoor DTT antenna. Also, if the configuration ofyour apartment or house allows it, I recommend you to choose an outdoor antennacapable of receiving a digital signal at 50km against 25km for indoor models.
Moreover, the price difference is not significant since high-end models cost around 50$ in both cases and cheap devices around 20$. On the other hand, in terms of durability, you will have to make sure you choose a waterproof device, especially if you live in humid or rainy areas.
How to choose a goodoutdoor DTT antenna?
The choice of an outdoor DTT antenna should be madeaccording to several criteria:
Types of antenna
There are currently 2main types of models:
The traditional rake antennas which are bulky but often more efficient. You must, however, take care to fix it well if you live in a region with strong winds;
The modern flatantennas are more aesthetic, easy to install and compact. However, be carefulto choose a model known to be reliable, especially if you are far from thenearest transmitter.
A high performance outdoor DTTV antenna must be powerfulenough to pick up the signals necessary to obtain a clear and smooth picture.Make sure that the original gain is at least 10dB because amplification is nota miracle…
If a large DTT antenna is often more efficient, don’t forgetthat it will be more visible, which is not an aesthetic advantage. In addition,the wind catch will be greater and the risk of breakage in case of gusts ofwind is higher.
Ease of installation
Prefer an outdoor DTT antenna with a French instructionmanual unless you are a good handyman. Indeed, many models on the market aredelivered with a brief instruction manual in English, which greatly complicatesthe installation of the antenna on the roof.
Brand and guarantee
A well-known brand is always a good point when choosing aDTT antenna. Don’t hesitate to check short and long term user opinions to judgethe efficiency and durability of a particular model. Also check the warrantyperiod, which can vary from 1 to 2 years depending on the antenna.
It is possible to find an outdoor DTT antenna starting at 20$, although the price can exceed 50$ in some cases. I recommend thatyou buy the chosen model on the internet so that you can return it within thewithdrawal period if it is not powerful enough.
How do I install myoutdoor DTT antenna?
First of all, you must be careful not to install yourantenna too close to the electric wires and in rainy, stormy or snowy weather.Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. If you have the slightest doubt, do nothesitate to ask for the services of a professional installer for your safety.
The first thing to do is to install a vertical arm to yourhouse on which you will then attach your DTT antenna. If you have to climb onthe roof, always respect the maximum load capacity of your ladder and do notuse unstable ladders.
If the antenna is delivered with a coaxial connector on theoutside of the plastic housing, simply connect the coaxial cable to the antennabefore attaching the antenna to the arm. In some models, the transformer isalready integrated.
Then point the DVB-T antenna vertically towards the nearesttransmitter. Then connect the other end of the coaxial cable to your TV orDVB-T decoder.
Caution: The installation of an outdoor antenna sometimes requires an earth connection to discharge any electrostatic potential that may attract lightning. Finally, it is possible to hide the coaxial cable for aesthetic reasons behind a gutter for example